Benefits of Junking an Old Boat
Don’t let your old boats take up valuable space in your yard - junk it today! Our ultimate guide will tell you everything you need to know about getting rid of an unwanted boat. From finding a buyer to hiring a professional hauler, we’ve got you covered!
Boat owners often face the dilemma of what to do with an old, damaged, or unused vessel. Some people opt to donate their boats to charity, while others try to sell them. However, the best option is to junk the boat in many cases.
Benefits of Junking an Old Boat
- You’ll free up valuable yard space.
- You won’t have to worry about maintaining or repairing your old boat.
- You can get a tax deduction for donating your boat to a charity.
- You can sell your old boat and earn some extra cash.
- You can recycle your boat and help the environment.
Guide on Boat Removal
Boat removal services are available to help you get rid of your old boat. These companies will come to your property and remove the junk boat. They will also do boat disposal, so you don’t have to worry about it ending up in a landfill and salvage yards.
Before you hire a boat removal company, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- Make sure the company is licensed and insured.
- Ask about their experience in removing boats.
- Get a written estimate of the cost of the service.
- Find out if the company offers any guarantees or warranties.
If you hire a boat removal company, get everything in writing before they begin work. This will protect you in case something goes wrong during the removal process.
Selling Your Boat
If you have an old boat that you no longer want, you may be able to sell it and earn some extra cash. There are a few different ways to go about selling your boat:
- You can sell it yourself. This option will require you to do your marketing and advertising. You’ll also need to negotiate with buyers and handle all of the paperwork involved in the sale.
- You can consign it to a boat dealer. This option will save you time and effort, but you may not get as much money for your boat.
- You can auction it off. This is a good option if you want to get the most money possible for your boat. However, it can be challenging to find a buyer who is willing to pay your asking price.
Donating Your Boat
If you don’t want to sell your boat, you can always donate it to a charity. This is a great option if you want to get a tax deduction. Just check with the charity first to make sure they accept boats. Donate it, and old fiberglass boats are a big problem for people who live along the coast and would
When you donate your boat, the charity will usually take care of your removal and disposal. However, you may have to pay a small fee for this service.
Recycling Your Boat
One final option for disposing of your old boat is to recycle it. This is a great way to help the environment and get rid of your boat simultaneously. Sometimes you can scrap the boat for the money or even sell it to scrappers for a bit of money.
Here’s an article about the most important details when trying to scrap a boat for the money. We already talked about it a little bit, but an old fiberglass boat is not recyclable. The hull has to be taken to the dump. Disposal options vary from location to location, so talk with your local marina to find out what options are available near you.
There are a few different ways to recycle your boat:
- You can scrap it for parts. This is a good option if your boat is in good condition and you can sell the parts for a profit.
- You can donate it to a boat recycling program. These programs will take your boat and recycle it into new materials.
- You can sink it and turn it into an artificial reef. This is a good option if you live near a body of water.
Hiring a Professional Boat Hauler
If you’re not able to sell your boat, you may need to hire a professional hauler to remove it from your property. This is the most expensive option, but it’s also the most convenient. You won’t have to worry about disposing of your boat yourself - the hauler will take care of everything.
Sink your Old Boat
One popular way of disposing of an old boat is to sink it and turn it into an artificial reef. This is a great option if you live near a body of water. You can also donate your boat to a reef program. These programs will take your boat and sink it for you.
If you decide to sink your boat yourself, there are a few things you need to do first:
- Remove all of the flammable materials from your boat. This includes things like propane tanks, gasoline, and oil.
- Remove all of the toxic materials from your boat. This includes things like paint, cleaners, and solvents.
- Make sure your boat is properly insured.
- Get a permit from the proper authorities.
- Find a good place to sink your boat. This should be a place where it won’t damage the environment or hurt any wildlife.
However, sinking a boat on purpose can lead to extremely high fines and even jail time, depending on where you do it. This practice damages the marine environment, especially if you have not properly cleaned out the boat and removed all toxic fluids, batteries, and other materials that can harm marine life.
Kinds of Boats that can Be Junk
A boat properly disposed of means taking the boat to a certified recycling facility, where the ship will be dismantled, and all materials will be sorted for recycling. The process begins by draining all fluids from the boat. The engine will be removed, and all batteries and other materials that can be recycled will be separated. The hull will then be cut up and recycled.
Different types of junk boats need to be disposed of properly:
- Fishing Boats
- Abandoned boats
- Pontoon boats
- Aluminum boats
Junking your boat is a great way to get rid of an unwanted boat. You can free up valuable yard space, sell your boat for extra cash, or recycle it to help the environment. Be sure to follow our ultimate guide when junking your boat to make the process as easy and stress-free as possible!
Our services in Norfolk’s Best Junk & Waste Removal Company can give you great junk hauling of your unwanted items. We provide environmentally-friendly solutions to your recycling and junk removal needs! Visit our website or call us today for a free quote!